Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Just Google It

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TheTJ 
#1 · (Edited)
People have asked some dumb questions in the past that could have been answered if they had either Googled it or even just used the forum search function. We have been pretty good about it recently as far as I can tell, but this can also help people who just aren't good at Googling things.

To start off with, we have the search function right here in the forum. Using the advanced search you have the options to search post by certain users, withing certain categories, within a set time period, with specified tags, etc. Of course you will still not be able to use keywords that are either too short or have been used too many times, but have faith, there is a way around this.

Google has many search tools such as searching within certain sites, specifying what keywords not to include in the results, including similar words, and the list goes on. You can find a few of their search tools here.

Most people will benefit from these advanced search tools, and some people can also brush up on their basic search functions, such as using the right keywords and knowing when to generalize a search or make it more specific. Read up on the basic search tips and tricks here.

As I said before there is a way around the forum search function not accepting overused or short (under 4 character) keywords. After reading about the advanced Google search functions I was talking about, you should know how to search within a specified site, for example this forum. Because Google doesn't exclude short keywords unless they can be ignored (such as "the" or "a") you can now search for words such as "vsr" or "pdi" that you couldn't using the forum search.

For example, if I wanted to find the diameter of a bb, but the forum search wouldn't let me use the term "bb" because it is both too short and overused (for the search function anyway), then I could Google "diameter of a bb site:airsoftsniperforum.com". Or by remembering the search basics I can shorten it to "bb diameter site:airsoftsniperforum.com" to broaden the search and find what I'm looking for.

One more thing I should add; I see people Google something and give up because they didn't see it on the first page. If you look at the bottom of your Google results, you will notice you can go to the next page full of more results that weren't listed at the top. I have found things in the past on the third or fourth page after I Googled it. Finally, Google also has an advanced search that is much more advanced then the one we have on the forum. If you can't find what you need using that, you will probably never find it unless you ask about it.

I'm not only posting this to make sure people Google things before they post questions, but also to help people who already do this be more effective at finding what they are searching for. I watch people search for an hour for something they are looking to buy and they just can't seem to find what they are looking for, then I use search tools and find it, and at the lowest price no less. Sure there will be things like advice or questions that haven't been answered yet, but please do try to see if you can find what you are looking for without going straight to starting new threads.

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with this, but if anyone else here is like me, I'd rather post a question on the forums. My reasoning behind it, is because I trust and know the community here. And this community happens to be full of very knowledgeable people. So I feel more comfortable taking advice from someone on the forums here, rather than a random site on Google.

Just my .02. :)

#4 ·
You are right Pillsbury. The reason I posted this is because some people ask questions without even seeing if it has been answered yet, whether it is on this forum or not. I agree that anything answered on this forum is probably more valid than others (no offence to other forums) but if there was an entire thread on how to do something, then someone asks the exact same question the moment they don't see it anymore, then there is no point to the thread. It's not only about checking other forums; it's also about searching on this one.

#5 ·
Definitely sticky this. Should be a requirement to read this before joining the forums! Lots of good information here.
I only tend to post when it is something very specific of which I have searched, but I am sure that I have been guilty of asking prematurely. It's good to be reminded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.